CULHAM COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1059790
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CULHAM COURT, ABINGDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CULHAM COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059790 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:22:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CULHAM COURT, ABINGDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Culham
National Grid Reference:
SU 50612 95236

Details

CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD SU5095 (South side) 10/32 Culham Court 18/07/63 (Formerly listed as The Vicarage)

_ II



Shown on Ordnance Survey map as The Old Vicarage. Vicarage, now house. Mid C18, south front of c.1816, C20 alterations. Red brick in header bond; roof not visible; brick end stacks. 3-storey, 3-window range. South front of 3 curved bays forming serpentine front. C20 glazed door to centre with painted wood surround. 12-pane unhorned curved sashes to ground and first floors with lost original glazing and cambered brick heads. Shaped stone band between ground and first floors. 6-pane unhorned curved sashes to second floor with most original glazing and cambered brick heads. Plain brick parapet with plain stone coping to roof. Rear entrance front: 3-storey, 3-window range. 6 panel door with C20 painted wood surround to centre. 12-pane unhorned sashes to ground and first floors, 6-pane unhorned sashes to second floor. Interior: early C19 straight flight staircase from ground to first floor with baluster balustrade. History: said to have been built for Benjamin Kennicott, Vicar of Culham (1753-83) in about 1758. (V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.30).

Listing NGR: SU5061295236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248817
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 30

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].