CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059792

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 16:20:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Culham

National Grid Reference: SU 50180 94972

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULHAM THE GREEN SU5094 (South side) 12/37 Church of St. Paul 18/07/63

GV II



Church. Tower c.1710; nave, aisles and south transept c.1852 by Joseph Clarke; chancel c.1872 by R.P. Spiers. Uncoursed stone rubble to tower; squared coursed stone to church with ashlar stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; roof of tower not visible. 4-bay nave and north aisle, south transept, chancel and west tower. Early English style. 2-centred archway with hood mould and triangular moulded surround to porch to left of centre of nave. Double plank doors with wrought iron hinges to 2-centre arched doorway. 2-light plate tracery and trefoil lancet windows. Doorway with plank door to base of tower; tower of 2 stages. Louvred opening to each side of top of tower. Plain parapet to tower with stepped corners. Interior: wooden barrel-vault to chancel, 4-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to nave. C19 stencil decoration to chancel walls. Piscina to right of chancel. 2-centred chancel arch on half-columns. 2-centred transept arch on corbels. Aisle arcade of three 2-centred arches on columns. C19 pews with wrought iron candelabra to ends. C19 octagonal stone font with pierced wood cover. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.565; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.37).

Listing NGR: SU5018094972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248822

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 565
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 37

End of official listing