DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES WEST OF CULHAM MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059793

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES WEST OF CULHAM MANOR, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES WEST OF CULHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 08:34:29.

Location

Statutory Address: DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES WEST OF CULHAM MANOR, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Culham

National Grid Reference: SU 50086 94882

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULHAM THE GREEN SU5094 (South side) 12/3918/07/65 Dovecote approx. 75m. W of Culham Manor (Formerly listed as dovecote 60 yards W of Culham Manor)

_ II*



Dovecote. Datestone, above door, inscribed "C.B,1685". Built for Sir Cecil Bisshopp (or Bishop). Coursed stone rubble plinth with brick coping; coursed stone rubble with brick dressings; old plain-tile roof; 2 timber-framed glovers with gabled old plain-tile roofs on ridge, to left and right of centre, Rectangular 2-cell plan. 2-storey, 2 bay range. Central plank door with brick surround and brick hood mould. Brick string course below eaves. 2 openings to central cross-gable, and to opposing cross-gable to rear. Segmental-arched opening to each end. Interior: complex timber-framed roof structure. 2 cells lined with 3,329 brick nesting boxes. Reputed to be the second largest dovecote in England. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29; Country Life, Vol.108, 1950, July 14th, p.133).

Listing NGR: SU5008694882

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248824

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 29
'Country Life' in 14 July, , Vol. 108, (1950), 133

End of official listing