WESTFORD PUMPING STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059878

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: WESTFORD PUMPING STATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of WESTFORD PUMPING STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:55:48.

Location

Statutory Address: WESTFORD PUMPING STATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Wellington

National Grid Reference: ST1226620385

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details





5365 WELLINGTON Westford Pumping Station

ST1220 1/500 ST1320 1/500 II

20/08/86

Pumping Station. C1886. Polychrome red brick, gault brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Single storey, 3 bay range to road with 4 sided bay at east. Lower roofed gable at west with range at right angles. Semi-octagonal chimney is attached at rear. High Victorian Italianate style. Facade has 2 paired red brick arched and keyed window openings with stone sills and imposts, central wooden collonette arched head sashes with glazing bars. 2 leaf 6 panel central door under fanlight, same architrave detail as windows. Stone plinth, gault brick quoins and banding, frieze and dogtooth eaves cornice, coped gables. Five sided bay at east has single keyed round window. Lower bay at east single arched sash with glazing bars. Polygonal stack at rear has banding, 2 strings at full height no coping. The water pumping station at Westford was built in 1885 to provide a piped water supply to the area, replacing 286 wells, most of which were polluted. Gas engines were chosen to power the pumps, both being installed in duplicate, one set operating for ten hours per day, while the other set was held in reserve. The original gas engines were nine horsepower four-stroke Otto type, probably made by Crossley Bros of Manchester. The installation, designed by the consultant engineer, Pritchard, was unusual in using producer gas rather than town gas to operate the engines, the gas being manufactured in an adjacent room from anthracite coal. The Westford gas producer-gas plant was a very early model. One of the gas engines was replaced in 1902 by a larger steam operated engine. Both engines were replaced by an electric motor in 1930. SOURCE: Gledhill, D., The Gas Engines at the Westford Water Pumping Station.



Listing NGR: ST1226620385

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270073

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gledhill, D , The Gas Engines at the Westford Water Pumping Station

End of official listing