CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1059880
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 02:20:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashbrittle
National Grid Reference:
ST 05202 21358

Details

ST02SE ASHBRITTLE CP

6/1 Church of St John the Baptist 25.1.56

GV II*

Church. C15. North aisle, tower and chancel rebuilt, nave restored circa 1874. Random rubble red sandstone with Ham stone dressings, tiled roofs circa 1970 over nave, late C19 over chancel. 3-bay nave with North aisle and Lady chapel, the nave and chancel of earlier church, South porch, West tower. 3-stage tower, crenellated parapet, offset buttresses, stair turret. South side chancel 2-light windows flanking pointed arch doorway, large 6-light Perpendicular window divided into two 3-light sub arches East of porch, elsewhere 3-light Perpendicular. Annex on North aisle, rood loft stairs projection North aisle. Gabled C19 South porch. Interior: rendered. 3-bay aisle, capitals with leaf bands, depressed pointed arches. Pulpit painted stone crocketed decoration on 3-sided body supported by a column, approached by stairs with handrail, imported from Barnstaple. Windows in Lady chapel, late C19 unusual in that they include portraits of the donors and dedicatees. The church restoration of 1874 was paid for by the incumbent, Rev. Charles Penrose Quicke.

Listing NGR: ST0520221358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00108/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].