This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1059942

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, TRINITY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269925

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 2324 SE TAUNTON TRINITY STREET (East side) 744/15/398 Church of the Holy Trinity 04.07.1975 II

Anglican church. 1842 by Richard Carver of Taunton; refitted 1882. Perpendicular style with Decorated style east window. Pale ashlar. Nave with projecting chancel. Battlements with pinnacles to corners. Pointed 2 light windows with large transom to take the galleries inside. Windows divided by buttresses. Big west tower with set back buttresses and openwork parapet, the pinnacles missing. INTERIOR: Single-span tie-beam roof with elaborate tracery above the tie-beam. Gallery on three sides with Gothic panelled front, on cast-iron clustered columns. Box-pews in gallery, but rest of seating replaced in 1882. Tall pointed chancel arch. Fine organ on west end of gallery, 1845 by William Hill. Clock in tower by Thomas Savery of Taunton Stained glass in east window. SOURCES: [1] Buildings of England, p.313. [2] Colvin, H., Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, p. 128 & 233.

Listing NGR: ST2356224451

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 128

National Grid Reference: ST 23562 24451

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 02:25:43.

End of official listing