THE MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059989

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1975

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE, THE PARADE (IN CENTRE OF FORE STREET)

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059989 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:01:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE, THE PARADE (IN CENTRE OF FORE STREET)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 22734 24490

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. THE PARADE 5365 (in centre of Fore Street) The Market House (formerly listed as Market Buildings) ST 2224 SE 11/13 4.6.52.

II* GV

2. 1770-72 by Copleston Warre Bampfylde, an amateur architect. Radically altered in 1932 by H S W Stone. Centre block of 2 storeys plus attic and basement, originally flanked by one storey arcaded open markets. New 2 storey wings added in 1932. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Pediment added to north front. Sill band and string course under lst floor windows. 5 windows, sashes with glazing bars. Central lst floor window has architrave surround and pediment on consoles. Balustraded apron linked below to a rusticated round-headed doorway with cornice on volutes. Semi-circular fanlight and 4-panel door. Wrought-iron spiked railings flank doorway. Good building in key position.

No 1A Billet Street, No 66 the County Hotel the Brendon Bar and No ¨8¨ East Street, form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside, Fore Street and the Parade.

Listing NGR: ST2273524495

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269839

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing