This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BURMA WAR MEMORIAL TO THE NORTH OF THE MARKET HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BURMA WAR MEMORIAL TO THE NORTH OF THE MARKET HOUSE

List entry Number: 1059990

Location

BURMA WAR MEMORIAL TO THE NORTH OF THE MARKET HOUSE, FORE STREET (IN CENTRE OF ROUNDABOUT)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Mar-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269841

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 2224 SE FORE STREET (in centre of roundabout)

04.07.75 Burma War Memorial to the North of Market House (Formerly listed as: THE PARADE (in centre of Fore Street) Burma War Memorial to the East of The Market House)

GV II

Memorial to the dead of Prince Albert's Somersetshire Light Infantry. The Third Burmese War 1885-86-87. Ashlar Celtic cross with tapering shaft standing on a plinth of 3 high steps, Cross and shaft are decorated with chubby Celtic detail, mostly interlace with some foliage panels on south side. Names of main battle honours including Egypt, Burmah, Azim Curh, and Jellalabad are carved in thick letters towards the base. Full battle losses given by inset lead letters. Relocated to present location in 1996.

No 1A Billet Street, No 66, the County Hotel, the Brendon Bar, and No "8" East Street, form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside and Fore Street.

Listing NGR: ST2272824532



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 15 December 2016.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 15/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121180
War Memorials Register, accessed 15/12/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1341

National Grid Reference: ST 22728 24532

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:36:10.

End of official listing