This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MUNICIPAL BUILDING (WEST END) MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS (EAST END) (INCORPORATING THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MUNICIPAL BUILDING (WEST END) MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS (EAST END) (INCORPORATING THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

List entry Number: 1060041

Location

MUNICIPAL BUILDING (WEST END), CORPORATION STREET
MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS (EAST END) (INCORPORATING THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL), CORPORATION STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269671

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. CORPORATION STREET 5365 (North Side) 4.6.52. Municipal Buildings (East End) (incorporating The Old Grammar School) Municipal Building (West End) ST 2224 NE 9/16

II* GV

2. A large building with 2 main parts set on a terrace above the road. The east end was a Grammar School built about 1480, probably refounded by Bishop Fox of Winchester 1522, and improved by Roger Hill, a merchant of Taunton who died in 1544. This part has rubble walls with ashlar dressings. 5-light mullioned and transomed windows without dripmoulds are divided by buttresses. Decayed heraldic device in east wall. Inside is a hall of 4 bays, much restored, but retaining its open timber roof. The Old Grammar School is a scheduled AM. 2 storey western extensions were carried out in 1902, the whole building having a continuous slate roof. Similar Tudor style with plain mullioned windows, but with gablets rising into roof. Picturesque square wooden bellcote. Leaded lights to windows. 3 storey battlemented tower comes forward at west end,

All the listed buildings (except No 34 and the Dragon Book Shop and Wall) in Bath Place and Corporation Street form a group.

Listing NGR: ST2262324522

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 22623 24522

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 12:10:26.

End of official listing