TIMBER FRAME OF TWO BAYS OF ALMSHOUSES IN GROUNDS OF THE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060076

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1975

Statutory Address: TIMBER FRAME OF TWO BAYS OF ALMSHOUSES IN GROUNDS OF THE CASTLE, CASTLE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of TIMBER FRAME OF TWO BAYS OF ALMSHOUSES IN GROUNDS OF THE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:52:51.

Location

Statutory Address: TIMBER FRAME OF TWO BAYS OF ALMSHOUSES IN GROUNDS OF THE CASTLE, CASTLE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: ST2262724628

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 2224 NE CASTLE GREEN (North side)

744/9/4A Castle Green Timber frame of two bays of 04.07.75 Almshouses in grounds of the castle

GV II

Re-erected section of range of almshouses. Circa 1500. Timber-framed with restored [1992] wattle-and-daub infilling. Pitched tile roof with gabled ends. The 2 bays belonged to old almshouses in St James' Street which were demolished in 1897. Re-erected in former Castle moat in 1899 and dismantled and re-erected again on present site in 1992. The surviving timber framing is for 2 single room dwellings with doors and windows in both front and back walls. Boldly overhanging eaves framed on projecting brackets. The frame is thought to date from before 1500. AM. [All the listed buildings on Castle Green form a group together with Ina Cottage, Mill Lane.

Listing NGR: ST2262724628

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269654

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing