CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060158

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060158 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 15:29:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Bawdrip

National Grid Reference: ST 34146 39586

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BANDRIP CP CHURCH ROAD (West side) ST33NW 8/5 Church of St Michael and All Angels 29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Predominantly late C13 early C14, extensively restored 1866. Squared, and coursed and squared rubble, rough-dressed quoins, tile roofs, crested ridges, coped verges, cruciform finials. Decorated and neo-Decorated style. Nave, chancel, crossing tower, north and south transepts, south porch, small C19 lean-to vestry by the porch. The tower plain and unbuttressed, embattled, string at bell-chamber stage and below the parapet, gargoyles; single light bell chamber windows with louvres, below 2 blocked 2-light windows with tracery and 2 single light openings with foiled heads, each with leaded lights; clock. Two bay nave, 2-bay chancel, single bay transepts, windows with curvilinear tracery, much renewed, labels with carved heads as stops. Square head 3-light north and south windows to chancel as well as the 3-light pointed head east window are Perpendicular. Gabled porch, benched interior on a flagstone floor. Interior scraped on flagstone floors. C19 roofs. The crossing with arches of 2 orders supported by corbels carved as heads, these in turn supported on massive lias piers pierced by squints to chancel and through way between nave and north transept; above a cantilevered stone staircase which gives access to ringing chamber reached by an external doorway. Chancel with aumbry, sedila, and piscina; piscinae to transepts, that to south particularly fine. C17 coffin stool. C18 chair. Cl9 pulpit, pews, font, organ and stone reredos. North transept with recumbent effigy of Sir Simon de Bradney, in armour, obit. 1375, foiled canopy with pierced cusping and 4 carved heads. C17 memorial behind the altar with Latin text. Five late C18 early C19 wall monuments. C19 and early C20 stained glass. Four early bells. (Faculty deposited SRO pertaining to 1866 restoration; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: ST3414639586

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269444

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Michael and All Angels Bawdrip Church Guide

End of official listing