This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1060173

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Petherton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269370

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH PETHERTON CP ST32NW ST33SW 8/108 10/108

ST. MICHAEL CHURCH Church of St. Michael 29.3.63 II

Anglican church. Norman establishment; C15; some C18 work; restored and extended 1868 for Slade family of Maunsel House (qv). Random rubble, freestone dressings, buttresses, tile and slate roofs, crested ridges. Nave with continuous chancel, narrow North and South aisles, squat North tower porch at West end of aisle. Perpendicular; C19 work in Early English style. Tower with pyramidal roof, slit windows under eaves; North doorway, paired panelled doors. Perpendicular three-light East and West windows, the former square-headed, the latter pointed headed; remainder of openings lancets. Plastered interior on tile floors; no chancel arch, continuous plastered wagon roof to nave and chancel; North and South aisles with two by arcades.

Octagonal C15 font. Many memorials to Slade family, particularly three of early C19 to North aisle. Fittings including, pews, altar table, lectern, reredos and organ, post the restoration. Mid C19 stained glass to East window and South aisle. C17 monument and C19 charity plaque under tower. Bell dated 1670. (VCH forthcoming).

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16 March 2017.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST3020429999

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 05:07:18.

End of official listing