Chillington Hall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1060191
Date first listed:
16-May-1953
Statutory Address:
Chillington Hall

Map

Ordnance survey map of Chillington Hall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060191.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:47:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Chillington Hall

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
South Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Brewood and Coven
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86366 06776

Details

SJ 80 NE 4/11

BREWOOD C.P. Chillington Park Chillington Hall

16.5.53

I

Country house. Two main phases: S. elevation dated 1724 on lead drainpipe heads; perhaps by Francis Smith of Warwick; E, elevation 1786-89 by Sir John Soane.

Red brick with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs; brick stacks. Four ranges enclosing a roughly rectangular courtyard.

S. elevation: three storeys with moulded plinth, # moulded cornice and balustraded parapet; rusticated corner pilasters, that on the left links cornice and base but that on right reaches only as high as second floor window sills and is level with the cornice of the W, elevation; eight windows; glazing bar sashes with moulded surrounds and raised key stones and aprons; fourth ground floor window from right has a short flight of steps in front of it and probably replaces a doorway.

E. elevation: two storeys and attic with plinth, moulded cornice and balustraded parapet; 1:3:3:3:1 windows; three storey outer wings, that to right with hipped roof; glazing bar sashes with architrave surrounds and strainer arches above; ground floor windows tall. Central half glazed door to Ionic portico with pediment bearing the Giffard coat of arms, approached by a flight of steps.

Stable court to rear: probably early C18; red brick; slate roof hipped to north, pedimented to south. Main elevation to west fifteen bays; cross casements with stone keys; classical articulation to south gable end.

Interior: The Morning Room of 1724 has a decorative plaster ceiling with central quatrefoil containing an allegorical female figure.

Staircase Hall: c1724 has an open well staircase with turned balusters and richly carved tread ends; stucco panels on the walls containing busts, heraldic stained glass window of c1830 by John Freeth of Birmingham.

Entrance Hall: by Soane with screen of Ionic Columns, enriched cornice and fireplaces.

Saloon by Soane; oval dome in centre with lantern, carried on segmental arches, the Giffard crests are set in roundels on the pendentives. The Giffard family has held Chillington since c1180.

Chillington Hall stands within a landscaped park complete with lake, the creation of Capability Brown.

Listing NGR: SJ8636606776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271316
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 20 February, (1948)
'Country Life' in 13 February, (1948)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 38 Staffordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02231/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].