CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060242 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:17:31.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Taunton Deane (District Authority)
- Stoke St. Gregory
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 34811 27154
ST32NW STOKE ST GREGORY CP
STOKE ST GREGORY VILLAGE
3/67 Church of St Gregory
Parish church. C14, refenestrated and upper stage of tower added late C15, aisles reroofed 1766, parapets renewed 1780s and late C20, church restored 1844 and 1886-8 by Houghton Spencer when tower strengthened, blocked arch between north aisle and transept opened, west gallery removed and south transept reroofed. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, quatrefoil pierced parapets to aisles, porch and north transept, solid parapets to west gale end and south transept. Four bay aisled nave with clerestory, north and south transepts, tower over crossing, north-east vestry and chancel. West gable end 2 x 5-light window above 4-centred arch doorway with decorative spandrels, flanked by stepped buttresses and 3-light aisle windows, south front two left and one right of single storey, diagonally buttressed porch with quatrefoil pierced parapet and sundial, moulded pointed arch opening, 4-panel compartment ceiling, built-in benches against wall, moulded pointed arch inner doorway, early door with long hinges, crocheted niche above containing figure of St Gregory with quill pen writing in a book, a dove beside him, diagonally buttressed south transept, 2 x 4 pane window, 2 small trefoil-headed lancets on east wall, two 2-light windows south side of diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, north side vestry with 2-light window inserted between 2-light chancel windows, 3-light on east front of north transept, 2 x 4-light window on north front with date 1787 discernible in parapet, one 3-light window left and 2 right of blocked, moulded pointed arch doorway, stepped buttresses between; 2-light trefoil headed windows to clerestory. Octagonal tower over crossing, crenellated, pointed lead roof with weathervane, string course with gargoyles, Ham stone dressing to upper stage with 2-light, trefoil headed mullioned and transomed windows blocked in lower lights, limestone dressings to lower stages with colonnettes to arrises, continuous hoodmould over pointed arch niches containing C19 statues on 5 sides, plain lower stage visible at junctions with offset below, also evidence of higher chancel roof; stair turret with solid parapet and walkway to tower, Interior: exposed irregularly coursed lias with Ham stone dressings. Arch between chancel and crossing chamfered in 2 orders, other 3 arches chamfered in 3 orders, squinches supporting tower. Perpendicular 4-bay arcade with unusually complex moulding between colonnettes on piers, carved capitals. Ribbed wagon roof to chancel, nave wagon roof with moulded ribs and some bosses, south aisle roof moulded compartment ceiling, one beam dated 1766 with name of Thos. Harp Carpenter, similar roof to north. South transept chapel larger than north with 3 blocked niches in east wall by lancet with retains of red pigment. Two slate floor slabs dated 1682 and 1795, latter to Alexander Courte. Outstanding early C17 pulpit with 4 carved figures representing faith, hope, charity and justice, and another unidentified. Vestry screen composed of former reading desk and panelling, 3 bays of linenfold with inset pieces of carving possibly depicting the Wise Virgins, 2 pieces dated, 1628 and 1595. Good collection of C16 bench ends. Mid C14 font. Painting on wood depicting King david with harp, similar to one in North Curry Church (qv). Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria painted on canvas. Pieces of medieval glass in upper lights of western windows in aisles. A very fine church, similar in design to Church of St Michael, North Curry CP but not so extensively restored in the C19 (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory 1914; Olivey, North Curry, 1901; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3481027155
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Olivey, , North Curry, (1901)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing