KING ALFRED PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060262

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: KING ALFRED PUBLIC HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KING ALFRED PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:08:44.

Location

Statutory Address: KING ALFRED PUBLIC HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Burrowbridge

National Grid Reference: ST 35773 30433

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST33SE BURROWBRIDGE CP

BURROWBRIDGE VILLAGE 2/12 King Alfred Public House GV II

Public house. 1806 refronting of earlier inn, roof possibly altered early C20. Roughcast, double Roman tiled roof with slight bell cast, possibly originally gable fronted parallel range now hipped to small section of parapet on right return and brick stack rising from eaves on left return, another brick stack at rear of left gable end. L-plan with extension at rear. Two storeys, 3 bays, 16-pane sash windows and semi-circular headed window above semi-circular headed entrance, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, panelled door. Three bay right return with lower independently roofed extension beyond. Interior much altered. Recorded in 1710 as the Anchor and later known as the Bell, the name was changed to King Alfred c1806 when a new road from Lyng to Burrow Bridge (qv) was cut which necessitated the demolition of the front of the inn. (VCH Somerset, Vol 6, forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST3577330433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 271177

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992)

End of official listing