Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1060290

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060290 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 00:03:29.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: West Buckland

National Grid Reference: ST 17337 20468


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/207 Church of St Mary 25.1.56

GV I Parish church. C13 in origin, aisles early C14, late C14 south chapel, late C15 north chapel, tower C1509, restored 1891. Chert random rubble, tower coursed red sandstone, Ham stone dressings, porch Ham stone and local gray sandstone, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 2-bay aisled nave, north chapel and smaller south chapel, south porch, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, pinnacles and corbelled out intermediate pinnacles, diagonal buttressed , string courses, moulded plinths, 2-light bell opening with Somerset tracery, small lancet; 3-light west window with continuous hood mould, resting on string, deeply moulded arched hexagonal stair turret centre of south face; diagonally buttressed , crenellated south aisle and chapel, 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, chamfered arched opening, ribbed barrel vault roof with wall plate, holy water stoup beside moulded arched inner doorway, C19 double doors; road stair projection, 3-light windows south and east faces of chapel Projection with priests door, 3-light window on south face of diagonally buttressed chancel, 4-light east window, lancet north face, 3-light east end of north chapel, three 3-light windows on north wall with square hood moulds, stepped buttressed between and blocked aisle doorway, single storey late C19-early C20 lean-to addition west end on north aisle. Interior: rendered, exposed west end of south aisle. Octagonal piers carrying arcade chamfered in 2 orders, many alterations at crossing, depressed arch between south aisle and chapel, between chancel and chapel chamfered in 2 orders, north chapel Perpendicular arch chancel, shallow arch chamfered in 2 orders with colonetts to aisle; chancel arch chamfered with C19 corbelled out capitals; tall tower arch chamfered in 3 orders and set on the skew. Stone road stair in situ. Roofs: Chancel restored open wagon, moulded ribs and bosses and crenellated wallplate; nave ceiled wagon roof, dentil cornice; 4-panel compartment ceiling south chapel, plaster barrel vault in north chapel, C19 compartment ceiling to aisles. Sanctuary set with good slate slabs to members of the Thurston family, Malchie a doctor, died 1701. Grace his wife died 1700, and a repaired one to Edward died 1683. Square font columns of the Purbeck type, 4-bay arcade on 2 sides, C15 leaf carvings on another 2. C19 stone pulpit, pine pews and cast iron altar rails. Stained glass. North aisle window by Morris and Co 1880s. The alterations to the fabric make the evolution of the building ' ` unclear. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Kellys Directory, 1941.

Listing NGR: ST1733820466


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 271150

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1941)

End of official listing