This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1060297



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pitminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PITMINSTER CP ST11NE LOWTON 9/210 Leigh Hill Gate and Crib Close II Detached cottage, in two occupations. C17 with later modifications. Roughcast on stone and cob, one gable, to west, in goposed rubble; hipped thatched roof, one early field-stone stack, one late C20 brick stack. Original building L-plan with through-way dividing living accommodation from byre or farm outbuilding, wing added later on west side, One and a half storey. Elevations have scattered 2 or 3-light casements with steel generally, two windows in eyebrows to thatch on east side and a small 2-light casement in eyebrow in opposed position in the south wing. Plank door set between 3-light casement and a late C20 French door on east front: on this side also two other large square openings, one far left with plank door, the other blocked: a date stone over inscribed roughly "William Allen l738". A date of 1609 or 1669 reported on central stack. One west side a further plank door in large square opening under small light in eyebrow. Interior retains sore original roof timers, a few rough chamfered beams, and one modified fire opening under a timber bressumer carried on heading timber posts as cheeks, but that to right possibly inserted later. Floor of broken lias slabs in southern wing.

Listing NGR: ST1897417684

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 18974 17684


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060297 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:46:30.

End of official listing