BRIDGE OVER RIVER TONE AT NGR ST 1378 2234

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1060317
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE OVER RIVER TONE AT NGR ST 1378 2234

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE OVER RIVER TONE AT NGR ST 1378 2234
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:33:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE OVER RIVER TONE AT NGR ST 1378 2234

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Nynehead
National Grid Reference:
ST 13780 22340

Details

NYNEHEAD CP NYNEHEAD VILLAGE ST12SW NYNEHEAD VILLAGE 4/64 Bridge over River Tone at NGR ST 1378 2234 II Former road bridge over River Tone on drive to Nynehead Court (qv), now disused. Dated 1817. By Thomas Lee for W A Sandford. Brick faced with grey Knapp sandstone, ashlar coursed with V joints giving strong vertical emphasis,voussoirs, strongly moulded string course, parapet of large dressed blocks rising from string course with chamfered tops. Plan: 3 arch span, shallow elliptical arches, cutwaters both sides but mostly submerged in mud, square piers abutting, topped with small square plinths that probably carried sole sculptural decoration when erected. Soffit of central arch with inserted York stone slab inscribed "W A Sandford 1817", soffit of south arch plain, north not visible from bank, North-west pier damaged, north-east pier obscured by ivy at time of survey (February 1985), string course damaged in places and obscured by ivy, fissure in south-west abutment. A fine design that was exhibited at the Royal Acedemy in 1818. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, l978).

Listing NGR: ST1378022340

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271006
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09308/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].