CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060318.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 09:42:48.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 13784 22715
NYNEHEAD C P
4/65 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14, south aisle and chapel c1410, 1869 church restored, organ chamber,
vestry and north chapel added by Edward Sandford of Nynehead Court (qv), restored 1970s.
Red sandstone, squared and uncoursed, roughcast south aisle and chapel. Ham stone and
red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay south
aisle with chapel, south porch, west chapel with Sandford Chapel adjoining, north-east
organ chamber and vestry, chancel.Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonally buttressed,
2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, 3-light west window,moulded pointed arch
west door, external stair addition in south-east corner adjoining disused stair turret;
2-light west window to diagonally buttressed south aisle, one 3-light window left and
2 right of single storey gabled porch,moulded arch opening, remains of wagon roof,
moulded arch inner doorway, C19 door, 4-light window east end of south
chapel, 2-light to south face of chancel, one diagonal buttress, 3-light east window,
lancet, gable end of vestry with rose window and 2-light below, cinquefoil headed lancet
on return, 2-light on north face of vestry, 2-light to east end of Sandford chapel,
rose window north gable end, 2-light on west front beside pointed arch opening, blocked
4-centred arch head to former doorway of original north chapel, two 3-light windows to
nave. Interior: rendered, exposed quoins in chancel exposed rubble in tower.
Chancel arch: moulded pointed arch partly cut where rood stair inserted; moulded
Perpendicular arches to south chapel; C19 three bay arcade with larger central arch
to organ bay, chamfered 4-centred arch to original north chapel; chamfered pointed tower
arch; 3-bay standard Perpendicular arcade. Rood stair rebuilt mid C19; hagioscope;
piscina in chancel. C19 ceiled barrel vault roof to chancel, nave and aisle with renewed
ribbed wagon roof with bosses and wallplate. Perpendicular font. Interesting collection
of stained glass east window and rose window by Heaton, Butler and Pain, C17 and C19
armourial glass in Sandford chapel, window with royal coat of arms 1851 by Mr Toms of
Wellington who was responsible for some other windows some by Mr Drake of Exeter,
west window by Butler,C19 enamelled glass in chancel after designs by Sir Joshua
Reynolds. Organ by Charles Bailey rebuilt by Mr Tons of Wellington. Reredos by Seymour
of Taunton with "opus sectile" work by Powells of London. Three bay screen with
adjoining half bays said to be c1480 with arms of the Wyke family, restored with parts
of a coeval screen from Hillfarrance church (qv) added on chancel side and beside organ.
Good collection of memorials; in south chapel aedicule with ? kneeling figures, Edward
and Elizabeth Clarke, died 1679 and 1667, made locally in filverton for £25; tablet in
moulded surround cut by jambs of east window inscribed with poem by John Locke, the
philosopher, who visited the Clarkes at Chipley Park (qv) Sandford chapel with many
memorials to family including portrait bust of the Rev John Sandford by Costoli 1835
and kneeling angel by same sculptor; particularly fine cartouche tablet with draped
cloth carved with inscription to William Sandford died 1718. C16 tablet in chancel now
illegible attributed to Wyke family,who lived at Nynehead Court (qv). Plaque with
Madonna and child by workshop of Della Robbia opposite statue of Elijah by Mr Giles
of Wellington in former rood stair, Another Della Robbia workshop piece in south aisle.
These and the celebrated Mino da Fiesole base-relief, sold in 1970 to Cardiff Museum
and Art Gallery, were given by the Rev John Sandford, vicar of Nynehead resident of
Florence, whose notable art collection descended via his daughter to the Methua
collection at Corsha Court. A rich collection of fittings, (Photograph in NHfli Pevsner,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Whittaker, Notes in the History
of Nynehead Court, 1978).
Listing NGR: ST1379222718
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Whittaker, Notes on the History of Nynehead Court, 1978,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing