FULLANDS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060364

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: FULLANDS HOUSE, SHOREDITCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FULLANDS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060364 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:08:50.

Location

Statutory Address: FULLANDS HOUSE, SHOREDITCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 23757 23031

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE ST MARY CP SHOREDITCH ROAD (West side) ST22SW

4/125 Fullands House

2.9.85

- II

House, now residential accommodation for school. 1810-12 on site of earlier dwelling for William Russell, partly demolished late C19-early C20 and internally altered. Roughcast over rubble, moulded cornice, hipped asbestos slate roof, gable end to demolished wing, brick stacks. Plan: originally T-plan, north wing mostly demolished, service wing west end, entrance on north front. East front: 3 storeys, 3 bays, all 16-pane sash windows apart from 12-pane windows first and second floors centre, obscured by metal fire escape. North front: 3 storeys, 4:1 bays, end bay left over entrance unlit, otherwise 16-pane sash windows, 12-pane above entrance, inserted C20 door to left of entrance, lead roofed, wooden Doric porch with 6-panel double doors and moulded architrave. Interior: extensively altered. Reproduction of an early C19 engraving in possession of the occupants shows canted north wing with single storey verandah on east side. The property by then known as Fullands School and between 1843 and 1848 the future General Gordon of Kartoua was a pupil here. "It is not exaggeration to state that Somerset County Cricket was founded at Fullands", Robin Bush. The property was purchased by King's College School in 1946. (Bromwich, King's College Taunton, 1980; Bush, The Story of Fullands, unpublished SRO, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST2375723031

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270914

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bromwich, , Kings College Taunton, (1980)
Bush, R, The Story of Fullands, (1985)

End of official listing