REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 7 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1060396
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 7 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, DRAKES CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 7 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060396 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 04:42:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CHURCHYARD CROSS IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 7 METRES SOUTH OF PORCH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, DRAKES CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Ruishton
National Grid Reference:
ST 26364 25099

Details

RUISHTON CP DRAKES CLOSE (West side) ST22NE

1/101 Remains of churchyard cross in churchyard, about 7 m south of porch, Church of St George (formerly listed as Churchyard Cross) 25.2.55

GV II*

Remains of churchyard cross. Early C15, restored C18. Possibly Ham stone. Socket and base of shaft set on 2 later square steps forming the calvary, octagonal socket with sunk panels of sculpture much eroded, south side possibly representing the Virgin with deposed body of Christ, square angle shafts in corners with caps and bases, south west shaft damaged; square shaft with angles worked to a fillet, broken just above a bracket supported on a face. (Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877).

Listing NGR: ST2636425099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270892
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00151/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].