HENLADE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060397

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: HENLADE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HENLADE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:26:17.

Location

Statutory Address: HENLADE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Ruishton

National Grid Reference: ST 27293 23055

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RUISHTON CP ST22SE HENLADE

5/104 Henlade House

25.2.55

GV II*

Country house. 1805-15, enlarged circa 1890. By an unidentified Italian architect for John Proctor Anderdon. Rendered over brick, hipped slate roofs concealed behind parapets, brick stacks. Double pile facing north enlarged with billiard room in south west wing. Two storeys, 2:1:2 bays, moulded cornice below parapet, pilaster quoins centre bay breaks forward slightly, 12-pane sash windows, first floor end window left bricked up behind glazing, central flat roofed style Ionic porch with fluted columns on tall plinths, flight of 6 steps, quadrant of columns with glazed infill, and half-glazed door and inner double doors, half glazed with wrought iron Adam style fanlight. Right return with full height canted bay, blind windows. Left return of 9 bays, 2 left bays bowed out and penultimate end two bays; original 4 bays 12-pane sashes, late C19 extension sashes without glazing bars and door fourth bay right. Interior: octagonal hall opening into larger hall with curved south wall, cantilevered stone stair with cast and wrought iron balusters with rosette designs, mahogany handrails, both rooms decorated in Aesthetic movement style of circa 1872 with stencilled decoration of sunflowers against a pre-Raphaelite green background, painted coffered dome to hall. Original doors throughout groundfloor and contemporary chimney pieces probably inported from Italy, moulded plasterwork cornices and carved wooden pelmets in dining room echoing acanthus leaf decoration of plasterwork but unaccountably designed to be hung upside down; 1870s lincrusta wall paper of 'aesthetic' design, subsequently colour washed. Billiard rood panelled in stained pine, 2 fireplaces and original fittings. Interesting survival of original fittings and especially of the 1810s decorative scheme, one that has seldom been considered attractive by later generations. Exterior plaster in poor condition (November 1984).

Listing NGR: ST2729323055

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270895

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing