This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JOHN SYMES MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JOHN SYMES MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1060400

Location

JOHN SYMES MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 4 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hatch Beauchamp

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270798

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HATCH BEAUCHAMP CP ST32SW HATCH BEAUCHAMP VILLAGE

6/18 John Symes memorial in churchyard, about 4 m south of south aisle, Church of St John the Baptist -

GV II

Obelisk on plinth. Dated 1688 and 1798. Ham stone. Obelisk on concave moulded base set on pedestal, dado inscribed on north side WH 1688 and on west side "in memory of John Symes.... died 1798, servant .... of John Collins Esq for Upwards of 34 year's; in about 3.5 m high. John Collins built Hatch Court (qv), and the obelisk is said to have been reset.

Listing NGR: ST3061321111

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 30608 21111

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 09:02:10.

End of official listing