Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:35:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Taunton Deane (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 21634 22194



9/165 Church of All Saints



Parish church. Late C13 tower, C14 North aisle, C15 South aisle and porch, restored 1862-3, 1890, and Early C20. Red sandstone and blue lias random rubble, rendered vestry, Ham stone dressings, quoins, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, 3 bay North aisle, organ chamber, vestry 3 bay South aisle, South chapel, chancel, North and South porches. 2 stage crenellated tower with pinnacles,string course, 2-light louvred bell openings, lancet on South face obscured by clock, chamfered string course, C20 3-light West window, chamfered plinth, South door, one stage crenellated stair turret in South East corner, 3-light windows to crenellated 4 bay South aisle, stepped buttresses, between first and second bays single storey crenellated porch with flattened gable, plinth, trefoil headed lancet on left return, right return blue lias tablet to Elizabeth Cordwent, died 1812, C20 compartment ceiling, moulded arched inner doorframe, C19 double door, South wall of chancel 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window, diagonal buttresses, 3-light East window, arched door to vestry on East front and on North 3-light window, four 3-light windows to uncrenellated North aisle. Between third and fourth bays left shallow, lead roofed, gabled single storey porch with kneelers, chamfered arched opening, inset seats, 3-light West end window to aisle. Interior: rendered. Perpendicular 3 bay arcades, smaller Perpendicular crossing arches, no chancel arch but cambered rood beam, pointed tower arch, triple chamfered dying into imposts, C20 wooden gallery across at first stage. Nave and chancel, ribbed wagon roofs with bosses, enriched over sanctuary, moulded compartment ceilings to aisles. 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window on North wall of chancel fronting vestry, trefoil headed piscina on South wall, 2-light chamfered mullioned window in clerestorey on South wall of nave, blocked 4 centred arch doorway to stair turret on West wall of South aisle. Rood loft opening in North arcade. Richly carved cornice to fanvaulted 5 bay rood screen, late C15, painted in grey and blue on chancel side and partly renewed, 4 bay parclose screens, left with remains of painted decoration, right with inscription, partly renewed. Fine early C16 benches and bench ends with unusual collection on figures comprising a religious procession, linen fold-panelling at West ends of aisles, dated 1560. Remarkable survival of circa 1500 carved pulpit with undamaged figures of saints in canopied niches. Marble aedicule with broken pediment and armorial achievement to Robert Lucas, died 1722. Painted alabaster tablet to John Baker, died 1677, set in angle of South chapel wall, segmental pediment, armorial achievement and faces terminating in acanthus leaves flanking table covered with a cloth. Number of late C18 and early C19 marble and slate tablets. Important collection of C15 stained glass in chancel and North aisle, particularly in South window of chancel, depicting saints slaying dragons, West window of North aisle by Kemp, 1899. 4 notable collection of fittings. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958: Kelly's Directory, 1897; Photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST2162922188


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1897)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14991/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].