Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060468

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 15:36:28.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Norton Fitzwarren

National Grid Reference: ST 19679 25969


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/147 Church of All Saints



Parish church. North aisle circa 1300, tower late C13-early C14, church restored 1851-2, porch and chancel rebuilt and vestry added 1866, Squared and coursed sandstone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, patterned on vestry, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, 3 bay North aisle, South porch, North East vestry, chancel. Crenellated 3 stage tower, set back buttresses, string course with gargoyles, deep plinth, 2-light mullioned and transomed louvred bell openings, clock and empty canopied niche on South nave, pointed mulded arch West door with C19 door, crenellated North East stairturrent; South face of nave one 2-light window left and 2 right of Cl9 single storey gabled porch with setback buttresses, moulded arched entrance, C19 ribbed door, 2-light windows on returns, stepped buttresses to chancel, lancet left and 2-light window right of priest's door, 3-light East window, 3-light vestry East window, short circular chimney, paired lancets on North front, North aisle decorative pierced parapet, three 2-light windows between stepped buttresses, 3-light Test window. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 chancel arch, tower arch chamfered in 3 orders dying into imposts closed by C20 part glazed screen. North aisle arcade of octagonal piers with double chamfered arches, Good ribbed and cambered roof to North aisle, Cl9 archbraced roof to nave, C19 scissor truss to chancel. Very handsome 3:5 bay rood screen with double doors, the name of Ralph Harris, Churchwarden; (who died 1509) carved upon it: rood group above 1896. Finely carved alabaster and black slate wall tablet with gilded lettering, swags and drops with console, to Jacob Prowse died 1672 inscribed with 13 lines in latin from Homer's Iliad. 3 hatchments including late one to Sir John Slade of Monty's Court (qv) who died 1859. C20 carved pulpit. C19 brass chandeliers with glass mantels. Tower contains collection of bell ringing achievements, 1900-14. C19 stained glass, East window dated 185S. Octagonal font. Some C16 bench ends. The South Test corner of the churchyard is said to have been a burying ground for gypsies. (Photographs in NMR: Kelly's Directory, 1897; Buildings of England Buildings of South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1967925969


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270655

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1897)

End of official listing