CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060479

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, STAPLEGROVE, TAUNTON, TA2 6EJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:45:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, STAPLEGROVE, TAUNTON, TA2 6EJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Staplegrove

National Grid Reference: ST 21219 26439

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2017

ST22NW 5/228 STAPLEGROVE CP STAPLEGROVE VILLAGE Church of St John the Evangelist

(Formerly listed as Church of St John)

25.2.55

GV II Parish church. C13 chancel arch, lower stage of tower, some C15 work but mostly of the 1857 and 1873 restoration when vestry and North aisle added, porch 1902, enlarged 1961.

South tower, west porch, four bay nave, north aisle, northeast organ chamber and vestry wing, two bay south east chapel, chancel, coursed blue lias rubble, quoins, slate roofs, scalloped tiles to vestry and chancel, coped verges. Crenellated two stage tower, diagonal buttresses, two-light bell openings, louvred lancet, pointed arch south door with continous double chamfer, C19 door. South chapel projecting with diagonal buttresses, two 2-light windows and Tudor arch headed priest's door, decorative spandrels, Jacobean style-panelled door, two-light window east end of chapel, three-light east end of chancel, three-light east end of Vestry corridor, door in re-entrant angle of projecting vestry block, two-light east end. North front of vestry four-light window, pentice roof on west front leading to organist's door, three two-light windows to north aisle, stepped buttresses between, two-light west end and north front, single storey two bay porch with parapet gable over centre above double doors, lancet on north return, south four centred arch doorway with decorative spandrels inscribed ER1 1902, three-light west end window. South wall of nave two-light window and lancet flanking buttress, west wall of tower large blue lias tablet to John Jennings, died 1779, and his wife Mary with carved cherub's heads in roundels and pedimented Doulting top.

Interior: rendered. Four bay nave with C19 octagonal piers to north aisle, C19 chamfered arches to south chapel, pointed, unmoulded chancel arch, hagioscope in chancel wall: tower arch blocked. C19 ribbed barrel vault roofs, stencilled decoration in chancel. Collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets, C19 benches, C19 font, finely carved C20 pulpit, wrought iron organ screen to north aisle on the theme of The Tree of Life by J. Horrobin, circa 1970. West window by Kempe, 1897.

Listing NGR: ST2121926439

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270684

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1897)

End of official listing