THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060501

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, LODES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:07:54.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, LODES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Kingston St. Mary

National Grid Reference: ST 22099 29753

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST2229 KINGSTON ST MARY CP LODES LANE (West side)

12/126 The Manor House

25.2.55

GV II*

Manor house. Circa 1560, alteration dated 1702, extension on North front dated 1869, restored 1924. Red sandstone with Hma stone dressing, string course, quios, wooden cornice, steeply pitched state roof, partly covered with bitumen, coped verges and kneelers, trick stacks East gable end, South West gable end, and set back from junction with wing. 'L' plan, possibly original open hall with solar wing, now 3 cell and cross passage, dog-leg stair and parlour added on North front early C18, further additions to service area on North front 1869. South front: 2 storeys and attic, 2:3:1:2 bays, cross wing left, full height hipped roof porth third bay right, two hipped dormers flanking porch, 6 balls eye openings, left gable end, one below eaves end by left if block with 2-light depressed Tudor arch window below, 12-pace sash winnows first floor with 4-pane sash windows in gabled end, ground floor left window altered, paired 12-pane sash windows flanking porch with keystone cutting string course small square basement light end bay left, bolection moulded Ham stone doorcase inscribed Mary and Thomas Knight 1702; left, glazed double doors with diamond-paned light above, South East wall of wing 2 bays with 2 tiers of cruciform windows built with blocked lower iights, architrave running continuously to form label below first floor and bulls eye windows to basement, moulded lintels to ground floor windows which have many paned casements. Interior partially sighted; early C18 dog-leg stair with turned balusters, moulded rail. ornamentally carved string and panelled dado, early C18 raised and fielded panelling to parlour right of cross passage, plasterwork to stair ceiling and back parlour. The house was originally known as Lodes and was probably built for Robert Knight whose descendants subsequently altered it. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset 1956; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 83, 1939).

Listing NGR: ST2209929753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270637

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 83, (1939)

End of official listing