LYCH GATE AND COFFIN REST AT NORTH EAST ENTRANCE TO CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060511

Date first listed: 17-May-1985

Statutory Address: LYCH GATE AND COFFIN REST AT NORTH EAST ENTRANCE TO CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCH GATE AND COFFIN REST AT NORTH EAST ENTRANCE TO CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:55:39.

Location

Statutory Address: LYCH GATE AND COFFIN REST AT NORTH EAST ENTRANCE TO CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Cheddon Fitzpaine

National Grid Reference: ST 24314 27609

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST22NW CHEDDON FITZPAINE CP

CHEDDON FITZPAINE VILLAGE

5/43 Lych gate and coffin rest at North-East entrance to churchyard, Church of St Mary



GV II

Lych gate and coffin rest. Circa 1920. Flat bedded local stone. buttresses, plain clay tile roof. Single storey, one bay; semi-circular headed archway with voussoirs, barrel vault, slab on entrance front incised with celtic cross, Wooden gate on entrance front with wrought iron decorative cresting. Interior: coffin rest, flat bedded local stone, incised slab with a cross of fleur-de-lys. Dedicated as a memorial to the dead of the 1914-18 war, inscribed tablet on interior East wall. In the style of Sir Edwin Lutyen's work at Hestercoabe (qv) but not atributable to him.

Listing NGR: ST2431427609

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 July 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270552

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 15 December 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/214646
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/72666

End of official listing