MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1060535
Date first listed:
02-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, BISHOPS HULL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:22:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, BISHOPS HULL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Hull
National Grid Reference:
ST 20561 24813

Details

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL HILL (North side)

13/5 Manor House

2.2.55

GV II*

Manor house. Dated 1586, mid C19 addition and internal alterations, restored 1901. Roughcast over rubble, quoins, chamfered plinth, coped verges, slate roofs, stone stacks rising on right return, brick stacks gable ends. E-plan facing South with small C19 addition on West front, a long service wing in North East corner. Two and a half storeys, symmetrical front, ovolo moulded mullions, gabled central 4 storey porch, coped verges, kneelers, 3-light mullioned windows under hood moulds, gabled 3-light dormers flanking porch with 4-light mullioned and transomed windows below, all with hoodmoulds, two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows in re-entrant angles, gable ends lit by paired lights under single hoodmoulds. Entrance through semi-circular moulded opening in ashlar Has stone porch, fluted Ionic columns on low plinths with dentil moulded cornice and date 1586 in keystone of arch. Above square plaque with scalloped frame containing the coat of arms of George Farewell. Plastered ceiling, round headed arch opening, moulded jambs, decorative spandrels and outstanding early C17 door. Single storey, irregularly shaped, top lit C19 addition on West front with 3-light Tudor arch headed casements and C19 door; long East front with two gabled dormers, stone stacks rising between and C17 style moulded door; long brick service wing to North with some early C19 leaded iron casements. Interior: extensively altered C19 and early/mid C20, and contains few original features apart from a couple of small fireplaces, some plasterwork details in first floor room, and original roof, an unusual combination of tie beams and arch braced rafters. C19 ribbed plaster ceilings in billiard room. C16 extension and in another room panelling imported C19, plank and muntin screen with painted arch doorway imported mid C20. Externally the building appears much as it was when built with a very fine door and some of the earliest ovolo moulded mullioned windows in the West Country. In poor condition at time of survey (March 1984). (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, May 1981; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 50, 1912).

Listing NGR: ST2056124813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270512
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 50, (1912)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in May, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09665/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Gillian Reed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].