THE OLD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060552

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 04-May-1984

Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE, PARSONAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:41:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE, PARSONAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Milverton

National Grid Reference: ST 12227 25880

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1225 MILVERTON CP PARSONAGE LANE (East side)

11/238 The Old House (formerly listed as The Parsonage under General)

25.1.56

GV II*

House. Late C15, early C16, extensively restored 1883. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth only on facade of porch, right return and facade of hall to right, slate roof, coped verges. Original block faces South, stair turret projection to North-east, C19 service wing to North-west fronting road and C18 brick addition to East. One and a half storeys, irregularly placed fenestration (probably all late C19) Tudor arch hollow chamfer mullions, ground floor 3-light to left of porch, one 3-light and one 4-light to right first floor only one 5-light in gabled projection above hall. 2-storeys gabled porch, diagonal buttresses coping verges, moulded string course below gable, original 2-light Tudor arch mullions with ferramenta,moulded arched opening. Innerdoor with moulded 4 centred arch wooden door case below hood mould, decorated spandrels, dated 1480 in C19 hand. Interior: buttery to left of stone flagged cross passage, hall to right, very high ceiling with 8 panel moulded compartment ceiling at dias end beside oriel arch with decorative stone panels giving access to C18 addition. Both rooms have imported panelling, that in the buttery, now dining room, reputedly originates from The Old Rectory, Combe Florey. Very small fireplace considering size of room set in North wall, probably reset, with dog leg stair turret behind axial passage, moulded handrails, C16 pierced flat balusters, with 6 panel moulded compartment ceiling above. Upstairs barrel vaulted room that originally ran the length of the house with partition over buttery end. This was the rectory house of the Archdeacon of Taunton and remained church property until the mid C20. For further discussion of the possible dating and evolution of the house. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, December 1973).

Listing NGR: ST1222725880

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270449

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
December, (1973)

End of official listing