Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060663

Date first listed: 23-May-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHAINHURST FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 05:43:23.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Marden

National Grid Reference: TQ 73094 47947


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/87 Chainhurst Farmhouse 23.5.67 GV II*

Farmhouse, now house. Late C16, with alterations and additions of circa 1684, C19 and C20. Timber framed. Ground floor red and grey brick, formerly painted, first floor rendered. First floor of rear elevation close studded with rendered infilling. Rear stair turret red and grey brick in English bond to ground floor, presently exposed framing with straight bracing to first floor. Plain tile roof. 6 timber-framed bays, third and fifth from left narrower than rest. 2 storeys. Continuous jetty with boarded bressumer, underbuilt jetty returned along left gable end on dragon beam. Eaves cornice of Ionic modillions. Steeply-pitched roof, gabled to left, and hipped to right with gablet. Projecting filleted red and grey brick stack on moulded brick plinth set on galleted ragstone base, to left gable end. Multiple red and grey brick stack towards right end, in fifth timber-framed bay from left. Irregular fenestration of 5 casements; two four-light to left, one two-light over door, and two four-light flanking stack. Four canted bay windows on brick bases to ground floor. One four-light diamond mullion window and one two-light ovolo-moulded mullion to rear. Door of six fielded panels and moulded architrave with frieze of Ionic modillions towards centre, in third timber-framed bay from left. Late C17 single-bay addition with brick ground floor, timber-framed first floor and hipped roof, to left gable end behind stack. Late C17 stair turret in similar style to left addition, to rear of second timber-framed bay from left. Brick and rendered lean-to to right gable end. 2-storey C19 rear wing to right, ground floor red and grey brick, first floor tile-hung. Interior: exposed framing. Right stack has plain brick ground-floor fireplace to right side and chamfered stone fireplace with vase chamfer stop and wooden bressumer to each floor to left side. Fireplaces to left side of stack each surround a smaller late C17 brick fireplace, that to ground floor elliptical, that to first floor with bolection-moulded wood surround and moulded mantlepiece and iron grate. C18 first-floor fireplace to right.Late C17 panelled ground-floor room to left of stack, with pilasters to left wall, doubly-corbelled panelled frieze, and with overmantle with two octagonal panels between short pilasters. Open well staircase in rear stair turret, with corkscrew balusters, moulded handrail, and panel dated 1684 with initials. Moulded axial beam to left end first-floor room. Gunstock-jowled posts. Altered clasped-purlin roof with diminishing principal rafters, and windbraces. Clasped-purlin common-rafter roof to rear stair turret.

Listing NGR: TQ7309447947


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 174746

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing