CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060713.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 06:06:35.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Maidstone (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 78633 42981
STAPLEHURST HIGH STREET
TQ 74 SE (East side)
3/107 Church of 23.5.67 All Saints
Parish church. Late C12, C13, C14 and C15, with alterations of 1853 and 1876. Roughly-coursed sandstone, with ragstone and sandstone dressings. Graduated sandstone to tower. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, south chancel chapel continuous with nave and flush with east end of chancel. Site of anchorite's cell to north of chancel. West tower: C15. Three stages, on chamfered plinth. North-west and south-west angle buttresses, and single north buttress. Battlemented above moulded and gargoyled string. Window of 2 trefoil-headed louvred lights with squared hoodmould, to each face of belfry. Single trefoil-headed light with squared hoodmould to all but east face of middle stage. 3-light pointed- arched and traceried west window with hoodmould. Moulded pointed-arched west doorway flanked by engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases, set in square-headed cavetto-moulded architrave with shields in quatrefoils to spandrels and with lion rampant to shield over door; squared moulded hoodmould with carved heads of bishop and king to label stops. Quadrilateral south-east stair turret, becoming octagonal at belfry stage and rising above tower with plain stone coping and short shingled spirelet with weathervane. South aisle: of late C12 origin, with C13, C14 and C19 alterations. No visible plinth. Diagonal south-west buttress, and 2 south buttresses. Gabled. 2-light west window with ogee cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil in an ogival, and hoodmould. Three C19 three-light pointed-arched south windows above a string. Porch: C13, set towards centre of south aisle. No visible plinth. Gabled, with shaped kneelers. Tall pointed-arched outer doorway with plain-chamfered head and unchamfered jambs. C18 spear- head railings about 5 feet high set across doorway, with gate flanked by scrolled supports to centre. No side lights. Continuous stone bench with wooden seat within porch to each side. Uncollared roof with slender moulded octagonal crown post set on cambered tie-beam, and with scissor braces crossing immediately above collar purlin; ashlar-pieces and doubly-chamfered wooden cornice. Tall C13 pointed-arched plain-chamfered inner doorway with broach stops, with rare C12 boarded door made for round-headed doorway and cut down to fit C13 arch. C12 and C13 decorative ironwork to door with 5 tendrilled straps, C hinges with bestial heads, fish and a fishing boat, a flying dragon with snake and crescent, crosses, and other motifs (see Zarnecki, Holt and Holland (ed), English Romanesque Art 1066-1200 (exhibition catalogue), 1984). South chancel chapel: C13 origins, rebuilt in C15. Roughly-coursed ironstone interspersed with ragstone blocks, and with ragstone dressings. High chamfered plinth. Higher eaves and lower ridge than nave. Diagonal south-east buttress and 2 south buttresses. C15 pointed-archer traceried 3-light south-west window with hoodmould. Similar restored south-east window. Traceried 4-light east window with cinquefoil- headed lights and hoodmould. Small hollow-chamfered pointed-arched south- west doorway with broach stops and hoodmould. Chancel: C13, possibly with earlier origins. No visible plinth. Tall 5-light east window with trefoil- headed lights, trefoiled and quatrefoiled tracery, and hoodmould. Small blocked rectangular light above. Two early C14 north windows, one 2-light, one single-light, with depressed ogee cinquefoiled-headed lights and reticulated tracery. Slightly later 2-light north-west window. Squint, rectangular to outside, circular towards inside, between the two early C14 windows,and formerly communicating between chancel and anchorite's cell. Second, much smaller squint beside it, possibly for alms. Nave: C12. Roughly coursed ragstone rubble with occasional bands of herringbone stonework. No visible plinth. 2 north buttresses. Two 2-light C19 windows to east and one to west of projecting 1876 stone organ chamber. Railings: C18 or early C19 painted iron spear-head railings on low stone plinth, running east from south-east corner of porch, returning to east end of south aisle, and surrounding Usborne family tombs. Interior: structure: 5-bay south arcade to nave of doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches, springing from late C12 and C13 piers and columns, semi-octagonal west end pier with square abacus and spurred base, then 4 alternating circular and octagonal columns with moulded capitals; first, second and fourth from west with water-holding bases, third (circular) column from west with spurred base. East half of fourth column, east end pier and arch rebuilt in C14. Three-bay C13 south arcade to chancel, with 2 circular columns with moulded capitals and water-holding bases, and doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches dying into walls. C15 tower arch with engaged columns with moulded capitals and bases, and trebly hollow-chamfered pointed arch. Chancel arch and arch between south aisle and south chancel chapel 1853, in a late medieval style. Rere-arch of central window of south aisle springs from slender engaged shafts. Hollow-chamfered pointed-arched doorway with broach stops to tower stair turret. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed-arched doorway to rood-loft stairs at east end of north wall of nave, with similar doorway to top of stairs above. Rectangular embrasure for roof-loft access high above east end of nave arcade. Roof: C19 barrel roof to nave with moulded pendant posts on carved stone corbels. Largely medieval crown-post roof to south aisle, with 6 moulded octagonal crown-posts, sous-laces, and ashlar-pieces. South chancel chapel has late medieval wagon roof with curved ashlar-pieces and sous-laces, and in which side purlins and collar purlin are moulded with thick central roll with leaf chamfer-stops. Roof is punctuated by 5 principal trusses (including end trusses) with short moulded spurs or hammer-beams on solid-spandrel brackets, supporting curved braces (placed in front of shortened curved ashlar-pieces) rising to side purlins, and thence to collar purlin. These additional braces are moulded like the purlins. A flat-faced rectangular boss is formed at each junction of braces and purlins. Moulded wooden cornice. C19 wagon roof to chancel. Fixtures and fittings: trefoil- headed stoup with broach stops to east side of south door. Stoup with depressed ogee head with carved foliage to borders, beside doorway to south chancel chapel. Hollow-chamfered pointed-arched tomb recess with broach stops to south wall of aisle. Defaced rectangular stone font on 4 short later shafts. 16 early C16 wooden panels set in tower ceiling, carved with shears, staples, pomegranate etc. Brass chandelier to nave dated 1808. Royal arms of 1764 under tower, and late C19 Benefactors and Parish Fees boards. Monuments: tablet on south wall of south aisle to Henry Hoare, d.182(8?) Ionic columns on plain corniced plinth, with plain frieze and moulded triangular pediment with antefixae. Tapering inscription panel between columns, and grey back plate. Tablet on east wall of south chancel chapel to John Diamond, d.1800. Rectangular marble tablet with bell consoles and moulded cornice surmounted by woman in relief with urn. Free-standing chest tomb in south chancel chapel to Walter Mayney, d.1577, and 2 wives. Bethersden marble, with moulded plinth and recessed moulded side panels. Plain stone top in darker stone, formerly with 3 brasses of which one, of a wife, remains. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980. Church Guide 1975.)
Listing NGR: TQ7857343021
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Church of All Saints Church Guide Staplehurst, (1975)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
Zarnecki, G , English Romanesque Art 1066-1200 Exhibition catalogue, (1984)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing