This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE KING'S HEAD HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KING'S HEAD HOTEL

List entry Number: 1060725

Location

THE KING'S HEAD HOTEL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Staplehurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174602

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAPLEHURST HIGH STREET TQ 7843 (West side)

5/136 The King's Head Hotel (formerly listed as The 10.6.1971 King's Head Inn)

GV II

Public house. C16, with alterations of 1671, C18 and C19. Timber framed. Main range rendered; Chequered C18 or C19 red brick to ground floor of front of wing, banded plain and fishscale tiles to first floor, and applied framing to gable. Late C17 red and grey brick in English and Flemish bond to ground floor of left return elevation. Addition to rear of wing weatherboarded above a brick base. Main range of about 2 timber framed bays, with cross-wing, also of about 2 bays, projecting forwards slightly to left. 2 storeys and cellar. Coursed stone plinth to cross- wing, painted brick plinth to main range. Cross-wing with underbuilt jetties to front and left return. Wing gabled with slightly higher eaves. Roof of main range hipped to right with gablet, hip returning to right. Slender projecting red and grey brick stack to left side of wing, and brick stack in front slope of roof to left of centre of main range. Multiple red and grey brick ridge stack towards centre of rear addition. Irregular fenestration of two 16-pane sashes; one to wing, one towards right end of main range. Two 12-pane sashes to ground floor of wing, one 16-pane under stack, and tripartite sash towards right end. Half- glazed double doors up 4 steps with iron hand-rail to left end of main range, and half-glazed door up 5 steps, with pair of iron rails, to right end. Short gabled rear wing to right of main range. Date G E A 1671 in brick to left side of wing. Interior: only partly inspected. Exposed framing to ground floor, with evidence for subdivision of wing. Moulded beams to main range.

Listing NGR: TQ7857343021

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 78573 43023

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 09:01:38.

End of official listing