- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHILSTON PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060856 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:29:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHILSTON PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Maidstone (District Authority)
- Boughton Malherbe
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 89487 50137
TQ 85 SE
4/1 Chilston Park 26.4.68
Country house. Late C15 or early C16 with C17, C18 and C19 alterations. Red brick in English bond except central break and part of adjoining walls of central section (red brick in Flemish bond) and rear elevation [red and grey rubbed brick in Flemish bond. Diaper work to front of left wing. Plain tile roof. Courtyard house with E-plan front elevation. Re-roofed and front elevation re-fenestrated late C17 or early C18. Central break [replacing 3-storey porch) and other alterations 1728. Late C18 or early C19 alterations to east wing. Further alterations and courtyard infilled in 1880s. North [front] elevation: 2 storeys and attics. Moulded stone plinth, re-worked round central break. Late C17 or early C18 rubbed brick plat bands over ground-floor windows except to central break. Ionic modillioned wooden eaves cornice, continued round central pediment. Right and left wings hipped to front and with C19 gables to rear. Tall brick ridge stacks towards each end of central section. 4 dormers with segmental heads and thick glazing bars. Diocletian window to pediment. Regular 9-window front of recessed 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, stone cills and rubbed brick voussoirs; 2 to each wing, one towards each end of main range and 3, deeply recessed and with slightly segmental heads, to central break. Central C19 red brick porch up 4 stone steps, with moulded stone cornice on consoles flanking re-used C18 doorway with double doors of 3 fielded panels each, and semi-circular Gothick fanlight. 1728 datestone beneath Diocletian window. East elevation: plain modillioned wooden eaves cornice. 4 dormers. Five recessed 24-pane sashes with rubbed brick voussoirs. Four 12-pane sashes with shutter hinges, rubbed brick voussoirs and plat bands to ground floor. 2-storey early-to-mid C18 canted bay with plain brick parapet towards north end, with two 8- and one 12-pane sashes to each floor, and blind boxes to first floor. Tall double doors with sunk panels, Gibbs surround and triangular pediment under fourth window from left. Conservatory: at south end of east wing. Early C19. Red brick in Flemish bond with glazed roof. Rectangular with small octagonal south end room. Single-storey height with moulded brick cornice. Pitched glazed roof. Glazed conical roof to octagon, with weather vane. Six 12-pane top- hung casements with rubbed brick voussoirs to each side, and 4 smaller ones to octagon. Internal access from east wing. Central half-glazed double doors to south side of octagon. Interior: C16 three-light stone mullioned window to courtyard side of west wing. C17 or early C18 staircase in north-west corner of former courtyard. Early C18 entrance hall with black and white stone floor, Doric colonnade across rear and plastered ceiling of shallow sunk panels. 4 plastered ceilings, probably circa 1728 to mid C18; one with "papier-mache" rococo design, one deeply coved. Moulded cornices. C18 fireplaces. Doorcases. Imperial staircase of 1880 infilling former courtyard. Carved panelling of circa 1540, probably from Royton Chapel, in staircase hall. [Country Life 19th and 26th December 19521.
Listing NGR: TQ8948750137
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 26 December, (1952)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 24 Kent,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing