SUTTON VALENCE SCHOOL BLOCK ERECTED 1910-1914

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060872

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: SUTTON VALENCE SCHOOL BLOCK ERECTED 1910-1914, MAIDSTONE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUTTON VALENCE SCHOOL BLOCK ERECTED 1910-1914
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:06:59.

Location

Statutory Address: SUTTON VALENCE SCHOOL BLOCK ERECTED 1910-1914, MAIDSTONE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Sutton Valence

National Grid Reference: TQ 81234 49348

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON VALENCE MAIDSTONE ROAD TQ 8049-8149 (east side) 7/145 Sutton Valence School, Block erected 1910-1914, II

School. 1910-14 by Adams, Holden and Pearson. Red brick in English bond. South ends of wings stone on ground floor, tile- hung above. Plain tile roofs. Courtyard plan, open to south, with outward-turning south ends to side ranges and assembly room projecting north from centre of north range. North range 2 storeys and attics with taller rectangular brick stair turret of irregular outline to each end. East and west ranges 3 tall storeys, and their south end ranges 3 lower storeys, all on stone plinth. Flush bands of thin coursed tiles above ground and first-floor windows. Plain parapet to north range. Parapet with moulded wooden eaves cornice to south end ranges. Asymmetrical gabling to south ends of side ranges, with broad panelled terminal stacks. Ridge stack and gable end stack to each turned end. 2 dormers to north range. 4-light wooden cross windows; 7 to each side range, breaking eaves, and 9 to north, central 3 within canted bay. 3 further single lights to each end of north range. Lunette windows with stained glass to assembly rooms. Various sets of panelled double doors. Brick and tile vaulted passageway towards each end of north range. Central leaded clock tower. Stone coat of arms above central door. Interior not inspected. School founded 1576 by William Lambe.

Listing NGR: TQ8123449348

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 174165

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing