RUMWOOD COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060892

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: RUMWOOD COURT, NEW ROAD

Statutory Address: RUMWOOD COURT, SUTTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUMWOOD COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:12:01.

Location

Statutory Address: RUMWOOD COURT, NEW ROAD

Statutory Address: RUMWOOD COURT, SUTTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Langley

National Grid Reference: TQ 79978 52227

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGLEY SUTTON ROAD TQ 75 SE (north side) 1/96 Rumwood Court 26.4.68 GV II

House, now flats. 1599, restored in C19, with additions of 1896 and alterations of 1950s. Timber framed with plaster infilling. Plain tile roof. Main range of 2 or possibly 3 unequal length bays. Projecting porch towards left end with projecting bay window to right of it. Broad projecting wing to right end. 1896 additions to left end and rear. 2 storeys, attics and cellar on stone plinth. Close-studded. Moulded fillet towards eaves of main range, with restored close-studded coving above. Strapwork decoration to bases of principal posts of porch and wing. Porch and right wing jettied to first floor and attic on moulded bressumers with carved brackets. Eaves of porch raised above attic jetty and jettied again. Gable over bay window also jettied, with moulded bressumer and brackets. Carved bargeboards and pendant to porch [restored in C19], bay window, and wing [with pendant dated 1599]. Roof abuts 1896 section to left. Brick stack with 2 fillets in front slope of roof in narrow right end bay of main range. Irregular fenestration of ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows. 8-light oriel window with side lights to first floor of porch, on carved brackets, with moulded cill, jambs and head. Mullioned 3-light attic window. Bay has stone base and 18-light ground-floor window with side lights, and with head higher than jetty of wing; "first floor" close studded. 3-light mullioned window within gable. Cross window immediately to right of bay and small inserted 3-light window to right end of main range. Wing has 10-light rectangular oriel to first floor, on carved brackets, with side lights, and with frieze window to each side, that to left returning along left side of wing. Similar canted bay window to ground floor, also with frieze windows returning to left. 8-light attic window. Various windows to right side of wing. C16 ribbed outer door to porch in architrave with moulded jambs. Inner doorway has moulded jambs with decorative chamfer stops. Small gabled bay and gabled cross-wing added to left end 1896 in similar style. Interior not inspected but said to have much altered late C16 fireplace, and panelling. [Illustrated, with measured details, in Examples of Carved Oak Woodwork of the 16th and 17th Centuries, William Bliss Saunders, 1883].

Listing NGR: TQ7997852227

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 174114

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bliss Saunders, W, Examples of Carved Oak Woodwork of the 16th and 17th Centuries, (1883)

End of official listing