Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060925

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1981



Ordnance survey map of REDHILL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 05:18:17.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: East Sutton

National Grid Reference: TQ 83434 49249


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EAST SUTTON EAST SUTTON ROAD TQ 84 NW (east side) 5/70 Redhill School 4.11.81 GV II

Unfinished country house, formerly farmhouse, now school. Dated 1612. Restoration and additions of mid C19. Unusual plan, resembling one of John Thorpe's designs lJ. Newman, West Kent and the Weald, 19801. Red brick in English bond with rendered dressings. Plain tile roof. Fragment of a house the rest of which was never built. 2 storeys, attics and basement on high coursed galletted stone plinth. Deep moulded string course above ground floor and first floor windows. Shaped gable ends with moulded rendered coping. 3 shaped brick gables to south elevation, also with rendered coping. Each south gable and each gable end has 3-light ovolo-moulded rendered window with hoodmould. Regular 3-bay front to south of one 2-storey slightly canted bay towards each end and 2-storey central triangular bay, all with plain tiled roofs abutting the 3 gables and with string courses continued round them. Each rectangular bay has 6-light rendered ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window to each floor, with side-lights. Central bay has 2-light transomed window to each side on each floor. 2 cross windows between each outer bay and central bay. Further 2-storey triangular bay to left gabled end. Slender rendered shaft with bell capital and base to outer and inner angle of each bay, to corners of each south gable, and to each corner of ground and first floor to front and rear. Central bay terminates just above plinth, with shaped base. Half-glazed door beneath it. Blank rendered shield or motif to each south gable, and rendered strapwork to gable ends. Date 1612 to east gable end, and shield with monogram to west gable. C19 rear wings in similar style, with chimney stacks. Interior: not inspected but said to contain plaster friezes, plaster strapwork to ceiling of window bays, and doors carved with early C17 figures of Faith, Hope and Charity (J. Newman, Op. Cit.]. C20 additions to rear and right not included.

Listing NGR: TQ8343449249


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 174087

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

End of official listing