CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1060942
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LOWER BROOMFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:05:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LOWER BROOMFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
Parish:
Broomfield and Kingswood
National Grid Reference:
TQ 84001 52495

Details

BROOMFIELD LOWER BROOMFIELD TQ 85 SW ROAD (east side) 2/13 Church of 26.4.68 St. Margaret GV II*

Parish Church. Late C11 or C12, and C15, restored 1879 by G.M. Hill, Roughly coursed stone with plain tile roof. West porch, west tower, nave, and chancel with north vestry. West porch: late C19. Stone. Frieze of leaded lights on either side, with diamond wood mullions. Broad pointed-arched wood architrave with hollow spandrels to ribbed door. Cusped barge- boards. Moulded C15 two-centred-arched stone inner doorway with trefoiled spandrels and partly renewed squared moulded hoodmould. West tower: C15. Two stages, on moulded stone plinth, with battlements above moulded string. Trefoil- headed louvres with squared hoodmoulds to each side of belfry. Small 2-light west window with trefoil-headed lights, cavetto mullions and squared hoodmould. Nave: late C11 or C12. South elevation of uncoursed stone, plinthless, with 2 buttresses and two C19 trefoil-headed lights. Chancel: 1879, of coursed galletted stone. Plinthless. C19 windows. 2 rainwater heads dated 1879. Re-set plaque above east window: "This chancel was rebuilt by Mrs Susanna Meredith of Leeds Abbey Anno Domini MDCCXLIX". North vestry: C19. Gabled, with trefoil-headed lights and hollow-chamfered east doorway. Nave: north elevation: roughly coursed stone. Plinthless, with one buttress. Chamfered, rebated lancet towards east end with short narrow blocked round-headed window beside it to west. 2-light C15 window towards centre, with cinquefoil-headed lights, cavetto mullions and squared moulded hood-mould. Small blocked ogee- headed window towards west, head formed from 2 blocks of stone. Interior: Structure: aisleless nave. C15 chancel arch with casement mouldings and one short attached shaft either side with moulded capital and base. Similar tower arch. Broad pointed-arched recess with low cill on either side of nave towards east end. Roof: 2 tall moulded crown-posts to nave, probably medieval, on moulded medieval tie-beams with later brattishing. Ashlar pieces. C19 crown-post roof to chancel. [J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and The Weald, 1980]

Listing NGR: TQ8385552452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
174030
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13025/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter John Laite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].