MARTELLO TOWER NO 24

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1061124
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NO 24, A259
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NO 24, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARTELLO TOWER NO 24
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061124.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 17:18:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NO 24, A259
Statutory Address:
MARTELLO TOWER NO 24, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Dymchurch
National Grid Reference:
TR 10164 29252

Details

TR 101 292 DYMCHURCH HIGH STREET (A259) (east side)

4/54 Martello Tower No.24

II

Martello Tower. 1806. Brick, covered in channelled cement render. Circular, slightly tapering tower about 30 feet high. Walls said to be 5½-6 feet thick. Shallow domed roof surrounded by projecting cement-rendered coping. 2 small horned recessed glazing bar sashes, one to north and one to south with cills about 12 feet up. 2 small ventilation grilles towards base. Vertical door with proud architrave and segmental head, with cill about 10 feet up, on west side. T-shaped recess below cill with surround continued from door architrave. Flagpole and gun mounted on done. No.24 on plaque over doorway. Now reached by external C20 metal staircase. Interior: not inspected, but said to contain central brick pillar with vaulted arches, magazine on ground floor and 2 rooms as quarters for garrison on first floor. One of a series built in 1806 as gunposts against a possible Napoleonic invasion. Stands immediately behind sea wall. Scheduled Ancient Monument. See also High Street (east side) Martello Tower No.25 and Hythe Road (east side) Martello Tower No.23. __ _____

Listing NGR: TR1016429252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
175512
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13913/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].