NEW HALL NEW HALL COTTAGE THE EXPENDITORS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061129

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: NEW HALL COTTAGE, 129, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: NEW HALL, 129, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: NEW HALL, NEW HALL CLOSE

Statutory Address: THE EXPENDITORS HOUSE, 129, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW HALL
NEW HALL COTTAGE
THE EXPENDITORS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 20:07:52.

Location

Statutory Address: NEW HALL COTTAGE, 129, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: NEW HALL, 129, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: NEW HALL, NEW HALL CLOSE

Statutory Address: THE EXPENDITORS HOUSE, 129, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Dymchurch

National Grid Reference: TR 10288 29702

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 103 297 DYMCHURCH HIGH STREET (west side)

4/60 No. 129 (New Hall, The Expenditors House 9.6.59 and New Hall Cottage).

GV II*

House and Court Room, now house, Court Room and offices. Late C16, altered in C19. Timber framed. North elevation (to New Hall Close) : ground floor clad in C19 in chequered red and grey brick, first floor in alternate bands of plain and fishscale tiles. First floor of right end bay rebuilt in brick. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. Central section recessed. Left projection formerly jettied to north and east, right probably formerly jettied to north. Hipped roof; right hip returns with lower ridge, left hip with higher ridge. Small brick ridge stack towards right end of recess and later gable end stack to right. Irregular fenestration of 4 windows; 2 broadly-spaced 2-light fixed lights with glazing bars to Court Room in broader left projection, large tripartite sash to centre of recess, 12-pane glazing bar sash to right projection. Recess has 2 ground-floor windows in open boxes; one narrow, adjoining front door to left and one 16-pane glazing bar sash with rendered voussoirs to right. Door of 6 fielded panels towards left end of recess, with fluted Doric pilasters and broad hood with moulded triangular pediment. 2-storey house adjoining to right but set back. Probably early C19. Rendered,right end tile-hung. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. Stack towards right. One 12-pane glazing bar sash in open box. Panelled door in single-storey brick extension to front at right end. C20 single-storey brick addition to left bay not included. Elevation to High Street: clad in red brick with occasional grey headers. Dentilled brick eaves cornice. Rendered quoins to left. Steeply-pitched hipped roof, left hip returning with lower ridge. Central brick ridge stack. Irregular fenestration of three 12-pane glazing bar sashes in open boxes to right of stack (to Court Room) and, to left of stack, one sash either side of short C19 two-storey brick wing. All windows have segmental heads. Left return wing rendered with 4 glazing bar sashes. Interior: first-floor Court Room in north-east corner, of 2 timber-framed bays running north-south, with staggered butt-side purlins and scowled posts with moulded brackets. Court Room benches and tables, some fixed. Room beneath Court Room has moulded beams and dragon beam; access to it through chamfered doorway from timber-framed passage leading via moulded doorway from entrance hall. Interior only partly inspected. Built on site of a building burnt circa 1580. Centre of Romney Marsh administration until Corporation divested of powers during late C19 and early C20. Part used as gaol until 1866.

Listing NGR: TR1028829702

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175518

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing