This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARTELLO TOWER NO 23

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARTELLO TOWER NO 23

List entry Number: 1061132

Location

MARTELLO TOWER NO 23, HYTHE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dymchurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175523

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 113 304 DYMCHURCH HYTHE ROAD (east side)

4/65 Martello Tower No.23

II

Martello Tower, 1806. Brick covered with cement render. Circular, slightly tapering tower about 30 feet high. Said to have walls 5½-6 feet thick. Project- ing cement rendered stone coping to shallow domed roof. 2 recessed glazing bar sashes, one to north and one to south with cills about 12 feet up. Small grilles below towards base. Vertical door to west with cill about 10 feet up, with proud architrave and segmental head. T-shaped recess under cill surrounded by continuation of architrave of door. No external steps at time of re-survey. Plaque over doorway. Interior: not inspected, but said to have central brick pillar with vaulted arches, magazine on ground floor and 2 rooms as quarters for garrison above. One of a series built in 1806 as gunposts against a possible Napoleonic invasion. Stands immediately behind sea wall. See also Dymchurch Road (east side), Martello Tower No. 25 and High Street (east side), Martello Tower No. 24.

Listing NGR: TR1051029990

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 11260 30456

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:15:26.

End of official listing