SANDGATE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1061237

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1949

Statutory Address: SANDGATE CASTLE, CASTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SANDGATE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:47:24.

Location

Statutory Address: SANDGATE CASTLE, CASTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Sandgate

National Grid Reference: TR 20683 35173

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5281 CASTIE ROAD (South Side) SANDGATE Sandgate Castle TR 2035 SE 7/20 5.12.49. GV 2. In private ownership. Built in 1539-1540 at the same time and as part of the same series of defences as Sandown, Deal and Walmer Castles, but altered again for defence purposes in 1805. It originally comprised a large central tower surrounded by 3 smaller towers connected with each other by a curtain wall and covered galleries, with an outer curtain wall and gate-tower on the north and a rectangular building connecting the latter to the central tower. In 1805 the tops of the towers were removed (the central tower being converted into a Martello tower) and the materials used to fill up the space between tile inner and outer walls. Most of the outer wall is missing on the south side, presumably destroyed during the 1939-45 war, and modern pill-boxes have been constructed in the place of part of it. AM.

No 2, Sandgate Castle, The Hermitage, York Cottage, Gatepieris to the White Lodge form a group with Nos 12 to 16 (even) and Gatepiers to Nos 12 to 16 (even). (No 2 and Nos 12 to 16 (even) and Gatepiers to Nos 12 to 16 (even) being buildings of local interest.

Listing NGR: TR2068335173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175279

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing