CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1061249

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 18:15:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Twyford and Thorpe

National Grid Reference: SK7321011714

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 71 SW TWYFORD AND THORPE CHURCH WALK

Thorpe Satchville (north side) 9/144 1.1.68 Church of St. Michael

II

Parish church. Late C15. Chancel rebuilt c.1840. Restored and refitted 1861 by H. Goddard. Restored and north transept, bellcote and porch added 1869 by R. W. Johnson. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and Swithland slate roofs. Plinth, coped gables, coped and gabled lateral stack. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, north transept, south porch. West end has a large central buttress flanked by single corner buttresses. Above, a moulded gabled single bell turret with cross. South side has to the east a buttress flanked by single late C15 plain double lancets with flat heads. Beyond, to west of the porch, a C19 double lancet with flat head. North side has an off-centre buttress flanked on each side by a late C15 plain double lancet with flat heads. Chancel east end has a Decorated triple lancet with hood mould and stops, 1861. North transept has coped east gable with cross and 2 flanking buttresses and a Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. West side has a late C15 plain double lancet with flat head. East side has a restored roll moulded C14 doorway. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and gable with cross. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with hood mould and stops and a pair of wooden gates. In each side, a single chamfered lancet. Porch interior has common rafter roof. South doorway, late C15, has moulded elliptical head and restored hood mould. Church interior has C19 roofs with arch braces on corbels and moulded double purlins. Chancel north side has to east a C19 aumbry. East end has a stained glass window, 1890, by Winfield. Fittings of 1861 include octagonal oak pulpit, stalls with poppyheads, roll top benches, 2 prayer desks and low chancel screen. C15 style octagonal font, C19, with panelled bowl. Monuments include wooden war memorial plaque and roll of honour, 1919, and 2 C20 brasses.

Listing NGR: SK7321011714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 189901

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing