CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1061258
Date first listed:
01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 18:32:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Freeby
National Grid Reference:
SK 79348 18936

Details

SK 71 NE FREEBY MAIN STREET

Wyfordby (south side) 5/40 Church of St.Mary the Virgin 1.1.68

II

Parish church. C13 and C14. Restored 1869. Further restored, 1965. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. Coped gables with gabled kneelers. West tower, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, chancel. West tower, C13, 3 stages, has double chamfered plinth, 3 string courses, chamfered eaves with 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. First stage has to south and west a single chamfered lancet. Second stage has no openings. Bell stage has 4 cusped double lancet bell openings with hood moulds. Clerestory, 3 bays, has on each side, 3 late C14 untraceried ogee double lancets with flat heads and hood moulds. North aisle, 2 bays, has to north an off-centre chamfered C13 doorway with hood mould, restored, flanked by single late C14 ogee Decorated lancets with flat heads. East end has mid C19 ogee Decorated triple lancet with reticulated tracery. All the north aisle windows have hood moulds and stops. South aisle, 3 bays, has unusual reticulated round headed triple lancet at east end. South side has an off-centre C19 doorway. chamfered and with moulded imposts, flanked by single C19 double lancets. All openings have hood moulds and stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north, 2 Decorated double lancets. East end has mid C19 reticulated triple lancet. South side has 2 C19 Decorated double lancets. All these windows have hood moulds and stops. Interior has double chamfered and rebated dying tower arch, C13. Tower chamber west window has C19 stained glass. North arcade, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and responds with water holding bases. C13 south arcade has round piers with keeled responds. Both arcades have double chamfered and rebated arches. C19 low pitched roof with arch braces and wall shafts on large foliate corbels. North aisle has to east a rebated aumbry. South aisle east end has a C13 cusped, chamfered piscina. Both aisles have C19 stop chamfered plain roofs. Chancel has late C13 double chamfered and rebated arch with conical imposts, and chamfered sill band. North side has to east, a rebated square aumbry. East end has stained glass memorial window c.1918. South side has to east a large cusped, chamfered C13 piscina. C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces and traceried spandrels. Fittings include octagonal late C14 font with cusped arcaded bowl and corner shafts. Softwood stalls and benches, octagonal oak pulpit on ashlar base, and wooden lectern, all mid C19. 7 restored pendant oil lamps. Memorials include a marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1919, and a cross, 1907.

Listing NGR: SK7934818936

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189812
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14049/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].