Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1061273

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:39:07.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Garthorpe

National Grid Reference: SK 84803 22186


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Coston (north east side) 1/97 Church of St. Andrew 1.1.68 I

Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C15, mid C17. Restored and chancel rebuilt in 1846 by Weightman and Hadfield. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with limestone ashlar dressings and gabled slate and lead roofs. Moulded coped parapets and east gables with crosses. Small internal tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West end has slightly projecting tower with chamfered and moulded plinth and string courses. Single round headed Cll window. C14 bell stage has on each side a double lancet opening with hood mould. Octagonal broach spire has a single tier of gabled lucarnes, each with a single lancet. Above again, finial and weathercock. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and on each side 3 ogee double lancets with segmental pointed heads and hood moulds. Parapeted north aisle, 2 bays, has chamfered string course. West end has chamfered single lancet. North side has 2 restored double lancets with foiled heads and hood moulds. East end has re-set late C14 ogee double lancet with panel tracery, coved reveal and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north, blocked doorway with hood mould. East end has 2 corner buttresses and Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould. South side has to west, 4 centred arched door and to east, double lancet with quatrefoil in head. Both openings have hood moulds. South aisle C14, 3 bays, has moulded string course, vine-trail frieze and moulded parapet with 2 gargoyles. At each end, a buttress, 2 setoffs, with an ogee headed niche, each topped with a superimposed ogee niche and a broached octagonal pinnacle. East end has early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has to west, double lancet with arches upon arches tracery, and to east a reticulated triple lancet. West end has double lancet with vescia piscis head. All the windows have hood moulds and mask stops. South porch, rebuilt mid C17, hascoped gable and chamfered and rebated C13 doorway with imposts and hood mould. Above, tablet inscribed 'JR WI GW 166-'. Interior has stone benches, re-set stoup and C19 common rafter roof. C13 cove moulded inner doorway has roll hood mould. Nave has at west end, internal tower with double chamfered arch with faceted imposts, flanked by single square piers with moulded imposts. Early C13 north arcade, 3 bays, has restored round piers with waterholding bases and moulded abaci, double chamfered semi-circular arches and hood mould. C14 south arcade, 3 bays, has restored octagonal piers, responds and abaci, double chamfered pointed arches and hood mould with mask stops. C19 low pitched single purlin roof with C15 mask and angel corbels. North aisle west end has stained glass window, c.1881, and north side has 2 C19 stained glass windows. Restored C14 roof has wall plate with masks and fleurons, arch braces with curved spandrels and angel and beast corbels. South aisle has eaves band with vine trail. East end has window with C14 stained glass panel. South side has to east, cusped C14 piscina and restored graduated sedilia. Restored lean-to roof. Chancel has double chamfered arch with hood mould and stops. North side has to east, cusped aumbry. East end has C19 stained glass window. South side has C13 style piscina and double sedilia with hood moulds. Stained glass window, 1865. Panelled wooden vaulted roof. Fittings include C13 style arcaded altar and triptych reredos with figure carving, 1885. C19 plain benches, traceried oak pulpit, traceried stalls, and 3 benches with shaped ends. Brass eagle lectern, 1902. Wooden lectern and square poor box on bracket, late C19. C15 font with traceried panelled octagonal bowl and tapered stem. Royal Arms (George III) on board. Memorials include re-set incised slate slab with crest, 1814, 3 C19 brasses, single C20 brass and roll of honour, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK8480322186


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 189854

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing