This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

5-6, THE SQUARE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 5-6, THE SQUARE

List entry Number: 1061373

Location

5-6, THE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489607

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



869/0/10064 THE SQUARE 11-JUL-02 5-6

GV II



Pair of houses, converted into dispensary; now offices. Circa late C18; converted into dispensary 1875; converted into offices 1983. Stuccoed. Clay plain tile hipped roof behind parapet. Rendered end stacks. PLAN: Pair of 3-bay houses, converted into dispensary and later into offices. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. 3:3 bay south front with moulded string courses and moulded cornice and blocking course, rusticated quoins; 4-pane sashes with keyblocks; two C20 dormers. North front similar, but with tripartite ground floor sashes in rusticated architraves, first floor windows in moulded architraves, centre right blocked and doorway to left with panelled door. INTERIOR remodelled in 1983 as offices, but retaining servants' winder stairs at west end with stick balusters. NOTE: This pair of late Georgian houses was converted in 1875 into The Winchester Provident Dispensary and the interior remodelled as offices in 1983. Externally, an imposing pair of late C18 houses and in spite internal alterations the exterior has considerable townscape and group value in the centre of Winchester facing the Cathedral.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 48120 29400

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 01:50:01.

End of official listing