This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1061377

Location

AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hillingdon

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jul-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

804/0/10067 CHURCH HILL 19-JUL-02 Harefield Australian War Memorial

GV II



Memorial Obelisk. 1921. Designer unknown. Pink Peterhead granite with bronze moulding to base of shaft. Tall shaft with pyramidal top, set on inscribed plinth above two-stage base. Cast bronze base to shaft with anthemion decoration. Sides of plinth bear military badges. Front is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD WHO GIVETH US THE VICTORY AND IN MEMORY OF BRAVE AUSTRALIAN SOLDIERS WHO AFTER TAKING PART IN THE GREAT WAR NOW REST IN HAREFIELD CHURCHYARD. Inscribed on rear: THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY SIR FRANCIS NEWDEGATE KCMG NOW GOVERNOR OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA AND FORMERLY OF TASMANIA HONORARY COONEL ELEVENTH BATTALION COMMONWEALTH MILITARY FORCES AND CHARLES ARTHUR MORESBY BILLYARD_LEAKE ESQ OF HAREFIELD PARK AD 1921. HISTORY: Harefield Place, ancestral seat of the Newdegates, was used as an ANZAC hospital during the First World War. This obelisk forms the centrepiece of the military cemetery, and is surrounded by numerous scrolled headstones to soldiers who died of wounds while patients there. This was a privately erected memorial rather than one erected by the Imperial War Graves Commission.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/198339
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/139

National Grid Reference: TQ 05356 89526

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 09:35:38.

End of official listing