WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1061398
Date first listed:
24-Jul-2002
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, TOTTENHAM GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061398 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:32:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, TOTTENHAM GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Haringey (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33702 89312

Details

800/0/10084 TOTTENHAM GREEN 24-JUL-02 War memorial

GV II

War Memorial. 1923. Bronze statue of angel representing Peace by L.F. Roslyn RBS, standing on a shaft and base of grey Cornish granite (from the Kit Hill quarry, Callington) by W. Griffiths and Sons Ltd, masons. Standing laurel-crowned figure of angel with outstretched wings, standing on a hemispherical globe, holding a wreath; the pleated front of her gown decorated with reliefs of angels. The tapering shaft has a bronze sword to the front, and reliefs of garlands with fillets on each face at the top. Main inscription reads 'Erected by the inhabitants of TOTTENHAM in grateful memory of her sons who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 1939-1945. Stepped base with inscriptions on upper section: to south, 'Greater love hath no man than this'; to the west, 'Their name liveth for evermore'; to east, 'Pass not without remembrance'. Corner posts of granite with chains. HISTORY: unveiled by HRH Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll (assisted by an orphan boy) on 17th June 1923 in the presence of some 40,000 people. This monument was erected by Tottenham District Council at a cost of £2,000, on a prominent site close to the town hall. Over 35,000 men from the area served in the Great War; over 2,000 were killed. A memorial fund was opened in July 1922 and the cost was raised by subscription. SOURCES: Tottenham and Ewdmonton Weekly Herald, 22 June 1923.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
489637
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Tottenham and Edmonton Weekly Herald' in Tottenham and Edmonton Weekly Herald, (June 1923)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/111832
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/11781

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].