CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061446

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 04:59:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Cotesbach

National Grid Reference: SP 53899 82421

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 58 SW COTESBACH MAIN STREET (north side)

3/4 Church of St Mary 11/01/55 GV II*

Parish church. C14, C15, rebuilt c1700, extensively restored, and stuccoed, 1812. Mostly rendered over cobble stone and brick, in places, partly stuccoed to imitate stone, some limestone rubble to tower; sandstone buttresses. Lead roofs. South tower, nave south porch, north aisle, chancel. Continuous plinth. Coped parapets and gables with kneelers. Buttresses with set- offs. All windows restored in C19. West wall has exposed C18 brickwork and chamfered, pointed arch 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. North aisle west wall has small, chamfered pointed arch, single-light window with hoodmould. Diagonal buttress at north-west corner. North wall, from west to east, a blocked, round-arched doorway with hoodmould and late C19 stone memorial cross. Then a chamfered, pointed arch, single light window with hoodmould. Diagonal buttress at north-east corner. East wall has a chamfered, pointed arch, 2- light window with hoodmould. South wall of nave has 3, 2-light clerestory windows, with chamfered, square frames with hoodmoulds. South porch has a plain doorway with C19 double gates. Roof inside has C15 moulded beams. Chamfered, pointed arch south doorway with C19 4-panel door. To west a buttress. To east, a 2-light window with chamfered rectangular frame with hoodmould. 2-stage tower with 4 string courses and coped parapet with pointed arch blank windows at corners. South elevation: small, chamfered loop-hole, with C20 clock face above, in lower stage. Above, in 2nd stage on all elevations, a chamfered, pointed arch, single-light, louvred bell-opening with hoodmould. Date 1812 inscribed below parapet on north elevation. Chancel has continuous string-course. North wall, from west to east: a buttress,followed by another buttress, then a chamfered, ogee- arched 2-light window with hoodmould, then another buttress. South wall, from west to east: a buttress, followed by a priest's doorway, with chamfered four-centred arch with hoodmould, and plank door, then a chamfered, ogee-arched, 2-light window with hoodmould, followed by a buttress. East wall has gable with cross finial, and chamfered, pointed arch, 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. To either side, a buttress. INTERIOR: 2-bay arcade with double-chamfered pointed arches, with keeled responds with moulded capitals and bases. 2 arches between nave and chancel, forming crossing, both double chamfered, with responds with moulded capitals and bases. Crossing has a caernarvon arch tower doorway to south. Chancel has continuous string-course. Moulded, four-centred arch doorway in south wall and four-centred arch piscina in south-east corner. C19 wooden, traceried reredos. C18 barleysugar twist altar rails. C18 panelled octagonal pulpit. C19 altar, lectern, pews, stalls, organ. 15, C19 candleholders with stylised brass leaves fitted to pews. C19 drum font on square base, with stepped lid. MONUMENTS; marble wall memorial on north wall of crossing, to Elizabeth Marriott (d.1819). Above, a marble wall to Rev. Robert Marriott (d.1008). Marble wall memorial on north wall of north aisle, to Caroline Marriott (d.1811). Also on this wall, a late C19 memorial cross in blocked round-arched doorway. WWI memorial brass plaque on south wall of crossing. C19 roofs. Stone flagged floors.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p.141)

Listing NGR: SP5389982421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191406

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 141

End of official listing