This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1061506

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bruntingthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRUNTINGTHORPE SP 68 NW CHURCH WALK

Church of St Mary (previously listed 4/18 as "St Mary's Church") 11.1.55 GV II

Parish Church. Only the base of the tower survives from a medieval building. The rest is of 1873 by W. Smith of London, in an Early English style. Mostly coursed and squared small blocks of limestone rubble, with limestone dressings and plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting, but the tower is of random granite rubble. West tower, nave with north aisle and chancel. 2 stage buttressed tower with saddleback roof and foiled lancet windows. Tall south wall with windows of 1, 2 and 3-lights and an almost round headed doorway with chamfered jambs. Steep roof to nave with cross finial on eastern coped gable. Chancel roof also steeply pitched and with coped eastern gable. 3-light east window in early Decorated style and 2-light Decorated windows to south, with priests door. Gabled vestry projects to north and buttressed north aisle has chamfered archway to doorway and foiled and paired lancet windows. Plinth and ashlar sill band throughout. Dark interior, with double chamfered tower arch and nave arcade of 3 bays both with semi-octagonal responds and piers, and made from banded ashlar. The outer chamfer of the arcade terminates in a simple stop on each pier. Steep and lavishly timbered roof with common rafters and collar purlins, some main trusses. Semi-octagonal responds to chancel arch, the foliate capitals and outer hood mould with corbel heads. Panelled wagon roofed chancel. C12 or C13 font, a circular basin with 2 moulded horizontal ribs, on modern base. Stained glass; western aisle window of 1873, and the Annunciation in paired aisle lancet, of 1891. Chancel and south windows have glass forming a series of 1915-19. Other fittings all contemporary with the restoration, including a wood screen to vestry with fretted tracery decoration.

Listing NGR: SP6007589769

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 60075 89769

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:46:39.

End of official listing